About St Cleer

Useful Links
UK Street Map
Google Maps
Photo Gallery- Coming Soon

The parish of St Cleer is located in East Cornwall within the former Caradon district. St Cleer parish is bordered by the town boundary of Liskeard, as well as the parishes of St. Neot, Linkinhorne, and St. Ive (bordered by the large village of Pensilva).

The parish is 4,427 hectares in area and is on the southern side of Bodmin Moor, in the county of Cornwall. The northern half of the parish is primarily upland moor, rough grazing for sheep, cattle and ponies. The southern part of the parish is a network of country lanes, farms, settlements and villages, on gentle slopes facing towards the English Channel.

The parish contains rugged granite outcrops and water features – including Siblyback Lake and Golitha Falls on the River Fowey. St.Cleer is a moorland parish and forms part of the Bodmin Moor tapestry of parishes.

The Moor has been classified as:

An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
A designated
Dark Skies Area
And parts are identified as
UNESCO World Heritage sites

The largest and most southerly village is St Cleer itself; close by are the villages of Tremar, Tremarcombe, Darite, Crows Nest and Common Moor.

The Cornish Language Office tells us:

One of the early settlements noted is Rosecraddoc which is to the east of St Cleer. Arguably that was the original settlement now known as St Cleer. It was recorded in 1086 predating the church; the first dedication of which was recorded in 1202.
In Cornish: Ryskarasek is Rosecraddoc (and this is incorrectly offered as a translation for St Cleer on many online sources).
The Heritage Gateway states “in 1239 Ingeram de Bray (in right of his wife), Lord of 'Recradoch' gave the church of St Clarus to the Knights Hospitallers, who held it until 1538”.


The recorded historical spelling in 1239 was “Ecclesia Sancti Clari de Recradock”.

The recommended translations for St Cleer are as follows:
Civil parish = Pluw Gler
Ecclesiastical parish = Pluwgler
Settlement = S. Kler

Bodmin Moor is a vast expanse of rugged moorland beauty, that is steeped in history as well as being rich in archaeological remains. The scientific and economic importance is illustrated by the remnants of the 19th century tin and copper mining industry the remains of which still form part of the landscape. The remains of engine houses and mine chimneys are still clearly visible hugging the slopes of Caradon Hill.

Geologically, St Cleer straddles the granite of Bodmin moor and the metamorphic aureole around the granite, which is rich in metal deposits.

The climate is dominated by the westerly winds from the Atlantic, bringing rain and sea-mist. In winter there is usually snow fall on the moors, which may lie for a few days, and in summer the heat is tempered by cooling breezes. In this part of the country spring comes early, with daffodils blooming in the fields and hedges.

The western part of the parish is bounded by the river Fowey, draining off Bodmin Moor in a deep wooded valley. The river rushes down a series of steps at Golitha Falls, as it leaves the upland moorland. Further north a tributary of the Fowey has been dammed to form Siblyback Lake, managed by the South West Lakes Trust. https://www.swlakestrust.org.uk/siblyback

Prehistoric people on the moor have left traces of settlements, field systems, standing stones and burial chambers, the most conspicuous of which is Trethevy Quoit, standing in a field near Tremar Coombe.

Interesting Landmarks

Trethevy Quoit

This ancient burial chamber is located in the hamlet of Trethevy and can be accessed from Darite.

See our Trethevy Quoit page >

St Cleer Church
The church in St Cleer in the centre of the village was rebuilt towards the end of the 13 th century and the church tower relatively recently in the 15th century.
St Cleer Well
A short distance from the church down Well Lane is located the granite holy well of St Clarus, the water from which was reputed to cure madness.
King Donierts Stone
On the road towards the hamlet of Redgate are two granite cross bases that make up King Doniert’s Stone. The Latin inscription is late 9th century style and it is though that Doniert was Dungarth the King of Cornwall who drowned in the river Fowey and the stone marks his death in AD875.